Pension Rebates

A pension rebate is a reduction in the cost of water, sewer and drainage services and where applicable, the Environmental Improvement Charge (EIC) is waived. The criteria for pension rebates is set by the State Government and Hunter Water provides this subsidy on their behalf. 

We rely on advice from Centrelink and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs to confirm the status of an individual's pensioner eligibility. 

It is recommended customers check each bill to ensure their rebate has been granted.

Federal Government Changes to Pension Concessions

If you have been advised by the Federal Government that you are no longer eligible for a pension concession card due to the change in eligibility criteria from 1 January, there is no need to notify Hunter Water to remove your pension rebate eligibility. 

Hunter Water will undertake an eligibility check in mid-February with Centrelink, and those customers that are no longer in receipt of the concession card will have their water rebate stopped as at 28 February 2017. This means that if you receive your water bill between 1 January and 28 February 2017 the rebate will still apply even though your status has changed.

In March those affected will receive a notification from Hunter Water advising that you are no longer eligible and the rebate has been canceled. There is no need to make further contact with Hunter Water about this unless this situation changes.

Eligible Pensioner Concessions

If you currently hold either a Pensioner Concession or a Department of Veteran Affairs Gold Card (TPI/TII or War widow/widower or Extreme Disablement Adjustment EDA), you may be eligible to receive a Pension Rebate from us.

Examples of eligible pensioner concession cards are shown below. If you are unsure if you are eligible for a pensioner rebate on your Hunter Water bill please Contact Us.


Pension Concession Card Repatriation Health Care Card

Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card

Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card

Pensioner Concessioners in Retirement Villages

Concession rebates may also be offered to eligible pension concession card holders living in retirement villages subject to some conditions. Hunter Water issues only one bill for the entire retirement village and has no direct relationship with individual residents. The total rebate will be deducted from the overall account balance of the account issued to the retirement village. Any distribution of bill by the retirement village will be between the lessee and the retirement village owners.

The following is the eligibility criteria for the retirement village and residents:

  1. The retirement village must be registered as a retirement village with NSW Fair Trading, and is not connected to a nursing home facility
  2. The concession holder must have entered a long-term lease under a leaseholder arrangement which has been registered with NSW Land and Property Information. Evidence of this must be provided
  3. The concession holder must have a valid Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs concession card, and they consent to their eligibility being verified with the Department of Human Services on a regular basis

 Quick Facts

  • The rebate only applies to the premise that a pensioner owns and occupies.
  • Properties which form part of a Community Title, mobile home village or caravan parks are not eligible for this rebate.
  • There are circumstances where the applicant is not the owner of the property such as under the terms of a Life Tenancy / Sole Beneficiary or similar agreement but may still be entitled to a rebate. 
  • Where applicable, the Environmental Improvement Charge is also waived. 
  • Pensioner customers are not eligible for a rebate for any additional premises they may own such as investment properties.  

It is important for customers who receive the pensioner rebate to notify Hunter Water if there is a change in situations such as:

  • you buy a property to occupy as your permanent residence
  • you move or change your mailing address
  • you are away for a long period of time
  • you leave Australia for any period
  • your personal circumstances change through divorce, separation or death of a spouse