Hunter Water is committed to enabling good development in the Lower Hunter. Our objectives for the region are to:
- Provide sustainable services for population growth,
- Deliver efficient and innovative services and solutions for new development,
- Work with developers and planning authorities to improve sustainability of new development, and
- Improve the amenity of our urban areas.
The NSW Government's Hunter Regional Plan 2036, sets out a vision, goals and actions for the Region, starting with the development of a Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan. Hunter Water is working collaboratively with the Hunter Development Corporation (HDC) and the Department of Planning and Environment to help deliver the key planning and infrastructure goals encompassed in these Plans.
As part of our commitment to enabling good development, we are reviewing our overall approach to the delivery and funding of water and wastewater infrastructure that supports urban growth in our area of operations. This Consultation Paper describes a proposed package of initiatives, incorporating:
- An annual Growth Plan detailing Hunter Water's planning processes and forward capital works programme. The Plan would also include growth maps showing the likely location and timing of new development across our area of operations.
- A Funding and Delivery of Growth Infrastructure Policy detailing revised funding categories for growth-related assets, including a new category of works where Hunter Water would (subject to certain criteria) enter into a commercial agreement to repay infrastructure costs when development milestones are met.
- Procurement Guidelines for Developer Delivered Infrastructure setting out minimum requirements for developers to demonstrate 'value for money' before Hunter Water would repay infrastructure costs under a commercial agreement.
Have Your Say:
Hunter Water is keenly interested in the views of all interested parties - planners, local councils, developers, designers, customers and the wider community in the Lower Hunter. The Consultation Paper asks questions about specific elements of the proposed policy package. Hunter Water also welcomes feedback on any aspect of our planning, delivery and funding of growth-driven infrastructure.
Hunter Water will review and consider all responses to the Consultation Paper. We will report back to our Board outlining key themes, comments and suggested improvements to the proposed approach. Subject to Board approval, we are aiming to release final policy documents in September 2017.
Feedback should be lodged by 30 June 2017 and may be:
- Emailed to Hunter Water: email@example.com
- Posted to:
Hunter Water Corporation
PO Box 5171
HRMC NSW 2310